Hummus is an incredibly popular Middle Eastern dip and spread. It is typically made by blending chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tahini (ground sesame seeds), olive oil, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor.
It’s not just for your pita bread. Try it smeared onto your sandwich, baked on fish, or made into a flavorful dip to perk up vegetables, chips or pretzels. The bright lemon finish helps cut fats and works well with seafood, and because of its creamy texture, you can substitute this as a dip or spread just about anywhere. Remember, it even goes well with meat.
Tahini /təˈhiːni, tɑː-/ or tahina /-nə/ is a condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame. It is served by itself (as a dip) or as a major ingredient in hummus, baba ghanoush, and halva. You can purchase this on line here.
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
½ teaspoon baking soda (if you’re using canned chickpeas)
¼ cup lemon juice, more to taste
2 medium-to-large clove garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
½ cup tahini
4 tablespoons ice water, more if too thick
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
drizzle of olive oil sprinkle of ground red pepper
- Place the chickpeas in a medium saucepan and add the baking soda. Cover the chickpeas by several inches of water, then bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. This will help the consistency. Boil for 20 minutes, the skins should fall away.
- In a strainer, drain the chickpeas and run cool water over them for about 30 seconds. Set aside. You can keep the skins there, as they have fibre. Place them into a food processor or high-powered blender with the lemon juice, garlic and spices and salt. Process until smooth (10 minutes or longer.)
- Next add the tahini and blend until the mixture is thick and creamy, stopping to scrape down any mixture stuck to the sides.
- While the food processor is running, add in 2 tablespoons ice water. Keep blending until the mixture is ultra smooth, pale and creamy. Next, drizzle in the olive oil. Add more ice water by the tablespoon if necessary to achieve a super creamy texture.
- Taste, and adjust as necessary. Place into a serving bowl and top with garnishes.
Thanks to our friends at LoveTrueFood for sharing this recipe!
We’re always looking for great, tasty, healthy food. Share with us your favorite dishes & recipes to email@example.com
Send us pictures of this recipe and let us know what you think!
Fit2Go.Asia – celebrate a better way of life!