Hearty Beef Stew!
Beef Nilaga is a simple Filipino Beef and Vegetable Soup. Made with economical cuts of beef for stew and beef neck bones, cabbage, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Think of it as the relative Irish beef and cabbage stew. Just remember that it’s the bones that gives it the hearty flavor, you can replace the cut but we do need the bones.
- Heat beef neck bones and stew meat with onion, peppercorns, salt and water over high heat and bring to a boil in a large, heavy pot.
- Allow to simmer for several hours on low heat until the meat is tender and falling off the bones.
- Skim any foam from the broth. You could cook the broth in advance and refrigerate. Any solidified fat will be easier to skim.
- When the meat is tender, add the vegetables and cook a little more until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Season to taste with fish sauce or salt.
- Serve hot over rice.