Tempeh and jackfruit tumeric curry might sound like a newfangled recipe but in truth, it’s as traditional as it gets. In Malay, the dish is also known as Tempeh Masak Lemak and young jackfruit has long been used in Malay cooking.
- Slice tempeh into three cm thick slices. Place into oven at 160 degrees for 15 minutes. You may also air fry. This step is to roast the tempeh ever so slightly so it remains firm when added into the gravy later.
- If using Karana’s jackfruit, measure out the desired amount, pat dry and set aside.
For the spice paste
- While the tempeh bakes in the oven, combine turmeric, shallots, garlic, onion, chillies, belachan and water in a blender.
- Blend until it turns into a uniform paste.
- Heat up a pot with some oil on medium heat
- Once it’s hot, empty out blender with spice paste into the pot. Stir to avoid burning. Add water if the paste is too thick.
- As the paste cooks, remove tempeh from the oven, and allow it to stand.
- Add in the kaffir lime leaves, sliced galangal and lemongrass.
- Taste. The spice paste is ready once the oils emerge and the turmeric’s sharpness is no longer detectable.
- Once you’ve reached this stage, pour in 100ml of coconut cream. Add half a cup of water and salt to taste. Stir and allow to simmer.
- As it simmers add in the jackfruit and tempeh. Continue simmering for five minutes.
- Best served warm with steamed rice. Bon apetit!
We’re always looking for great, tasty, healthy food. Share with us your favorite dishes & recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Send us pictures of this recipe and let us know what you think!
Thanks to Yo Ripe for the recipe
Download Yo Ripe and unleash your kitchen!